2019 Cleveland Marathon Training Post 5
Please note, theActiveGuy.com may earn a commission when you follow some of the links and make a purchase.
2019 Cleveland Marathon Training Post 5
Training for the Cleveland Marathon is in full swing! Having back to back weeks of 800’s and 50-mile weeks, my closer to 40-year-old body is starting to feel a bit achy. Overall I have been trying to slowly add mileage in an effort to reduce the opportunity of injury. Add in stretching and strength training, I am doing everything I can to make it to the starting line healthy in May.
I am officially a little worried about how much time that is left before the Cleveland Marathon. As I type this, we have about 48 days left, so that is less than 7 weeks away. I was able to get in a 16 miler last week, but man 26.2 seems like a daunting distance right now. One of my goals before the next post is to register for a race to see where I’m at from a fitness perspective.
I continue to increase my mileage, getting closer and closer to a 50 mile week, which will be the first time in 5-6 months. I have tried to be very careful with increasing mileage slowly in an effort to try to stay injury free. It’s tough getting old. 🙂
In my last post, I mentioned that the recent weather has been all over the place. Over the past two weeks, I must say it has been much nicer. Up until Sunday when it snowed 3 inches. A lot of people complained about it, but I don’t mind the snow until you step in a deep puddle and your socks get soaked.
I continue to look for races to sign up for. My wife is running a 10k this weekend and I may sign up for the 5k and run with our boys, that is the weather isn’t too bad. If you have any suggestions for spring races, let me know! Make sure you check out the Ambassadors page to learn about the other great Ambassadors of this race. I will be having a giveaway here soon, so stay tuned.
2019 Cleveland Marathon Weekly Training
Below are the training details for the week of 3/18/19 (50.1 miles running, 22 miles cycling).
- Monday (3/18/19): 5 miles | shoes: Asics GT-2000 6 | Rode 12 miles on Zwift
- Tuesday (3/19/19): 10 miles | shoes: Saucony Liberty ISO
- Wednesday (3/20/19): Day Off (work travel)
- Thursday (3/21/19): 8.3 miles (6x800m) | shoes: Adidas Tempo Boost 9
- Friday (3/22/19): 5 miles | shoes: Asics GT-2000 6 | Rode 10 miles on Zwift
- Saturday (3/23/19): 16 miles | shoes: Saucony Hurricane ISO 4
- Sunday (3/24/19): 5.3 miles | shoes: Saucony Liberty ISO
Below are the training details for the week of 3/25/19 (50.1 miles running, 11 miles cycling).
- Monday (3/25/19): 5 miles | shoes: Saucony Guide Omni 16 | Rode 11 miles on Zwift
- Tuesday (3/26/19): Day Off (work travel)
- Wednesday (3/27/19): 10 miles | shoes: Saucony Hurricane ISO 4
- Thursday (3/28/19): 9 miles (7x800m) | shoes: Adidas Tempo Boost 9
- Friday (3/29/19): 10 miles | shoes: Saucony Guide ISO
- Saturday (3/30/19): 10 miles | shoes: Saucony Hurricane ISO 4
- Sunday (3/31/19): 6 miles | shoes: Saucony Liberty ISO
My plan as of now will include weekly speed work, a tempo run, a longer run, and daily recovery runs. I haven’t started adding tempo runs yet and hope to start adding those in the next week or two. My goal is to average between 40-60 miles a week.
Leave me a comment or contact me if you have any training suggestions or feedback as I continue to prepare for the 2019 Cleveland Marathon. Remember, Save 10% off any Cleveland Marathon race or challenge with Cleveland Marathon coupon code SLONG2019.
About the 2019 Cleveland Marathon
The Cleveland Marathon is in its 42nd year and is one of the top 50 oldest marathons in the US. During race weekend Cleveland hosts between 15,000-18,000 runners and walkers in addition to thousands of spectators.
The date for the marathon is Sunday, May 19, 2019, at 7:00 a.m. The full marathon, half marathon, and 10k all start at this time. Plan to arrive around 6 a.m. to allow yourself plenty of time to park and get ready.