2019 Cleveland Marathon Training Post 3
2019 Cleveland Marathon Training Post 3
Well, marathon training has officially begun. For the second straight week, I have incorporated speed work and had my first double digit run of 2019. Kind of hard to believe it took until March for that to happen. Considering that the Cleveland Marathon is approaching quickly, I figured I should get things going.
When you do the math, we are only about 80 days out from race day, which equates to 11 weeks out, which is somewhat terrifying. Getting a 12-miler in this weekend felt ok, which made me feel a little better but still know I have a long, long way to go. I’m hoping for 13-15 miles next weekend. I just want to make sure I’m careful about increasing mileage so I can do my best to stay injury free.
Here in Ohio we have continued to have crazy weather. Last week I wore shorts, tights, and sunglasses. This upcoming week it supposed to get down to single digits and then next Saturday we have a high of 43. I’m hoping to run 12-15 next Saturday. I’m hopeful that the forecast will remain as it is today.
I am also looking for some spring races here in northeast Ohio. If you have any suggestions for spring races, let me know! Also, if you haven’t visited the Ambassadors page, you need to check it out. You not only get to learn about the other great Ambassadors, but you can save money on race entry fees and enter to win a free race entry!
Here are the details of my training over the past two weeks. This includes both cycling and running.
Below are the training details for the week of 2/18/19 (40 miles running, 68 miles cycling).
- Monday (2/18/19): 5 miles | shoes: Asics GT-2000 6 | Rode 14 miles on Zwift
- Tuesday (2/19/19): 8 miles (speed work) | shoes: Adidas Tempo Boost 9 | Rode 11.6 miles on Zwift
- Wednesday (2/20/19): 8 miles | shoes: Asics GT-2000 6
- Thursday (2/21/19): 4 miles | shoes: Saucony Guide Omni 16 | Rode 11 miles on Zwift
- Friday (2/22/19): 4 miles | shoes: Asics GT-2000 6 | Rode 9 miles on Zwift
- Saturday (2/23/19): 9 miles | shoes: Saucony Hurricane ISO 4
- Sunday (2/24/19): 2 miles | shoes: Saucony Liberty ISO | Rode 23 miles on Zwift
Below are the training details for the week of 2/25/19 (43 miles running, 35.3 miles cycling).
- Monday (2/25/19): 5 miles | shoes: Saucony Guide Omni 16 | Rode 10.6 miles on Zwift
- Tuesday (2/26/19): 8 miles (speed work) | shoes: Adidas Tempo Boost 9
- Wednesday (2/27/19): Day Off (work travel)
- Thursday (2/28/19): 5 miles | shoes: Saucony Guide ISO | Rode 12.15 miles on Zwift
- Friday (3/1/19): 5 miles | shoes: Saucony Guide ISO
- Saturday (3/2/19): 12 miles | shoes: Saucony Hurricane ISO 4
- Sunday (3/3/19): 5 miles | shoes: Saucony Liberty ISO | Rode 12.5 miles on Zwift
As I mentioned in my last post, I was in the process of finalizing my training program. My plan as of now will include weekly speed work, a tempo run, a longer run, and daily recovery runs. My goal is to average between 40-60 miles a week. I have been cycling one to four hours a week so I’ll have to reduce that if i want to increase my mileage.
Leave me a comment or contact me if you have any training suggestions or feedback as I continue to prepare for the 2019 Cleveland Marathon. Remember, Save 10% off any Cleveland Marathon race or challenge with Cleveland Marathon coupon code SLONG2019.
About the 2019 Cleveland Marathon
The Cleveland Marathon is in its 42nd year and is one of the top 50 oldest marathons in the US. During race weekend Cleveland hosts between 15,000-18,000 runners and walkers in addition to thousands of spectators.
The date for the marathon is Sunday, May 19, 2019, at 7:00 a.m. The full marathon, half marathon, and 10k all start at this time. Plan to arrive around 6 a.m. to allow yourself plenty of time to park and get ready.
2019 Cleveland Marathon Coupon Code
Please note, theActiveGuy.com may earn a commission when you follow some of the links and make a purchase.