2019 Cleveland Marathon Ambassador
Please note, theActiveGuy.com earns a commission when you follow some of the links and make a purchase.
2019 Cleveland Marathon Ambassador
I’m back! Once again I am humbled to be a 2019 Cleveland Marathon Ambassador! Last year I sent an email to the Cleveland Marathon team after seeing a post on Instagram about applying to be an ambassador and was lucky to be selected to be a part of this great group. I never thought I would be selected but am thrilled to have the opportunity to promote this city and race in 2019.
If you didn’t get a chance to read my Ambassador post from last year, I have participated in the Cleveland marathon and half marathon over a half dozen times. The course, the city, and the experience make the Cleveland Marathon one of my favorite races. While it isn’t as big as Chicago, Boston, or New York, it has so many characteristics that make it great.
Last’s year race was one of my favorite races yet. Check out my 2018 Cleveland Marathon review if you are interested in learning more about the race.
Similar to last year, I am going to provide a few reasons why I like the Cleveland Marathon. I may have a slightly biased opinion since I have lived in NE Ohio for a while and lived downtown for 7 years and have run the streets of Cleveland so many times.
Why do I like the Cleveland Marathon?
1. The people/organization. I may be a little biased, but the folks that run the Cleveland Marathon are awesome. This great group of people is always looking for ways to improve the biggest race in Northeast Ohio. Additionally, the Cleveland Marathon Ambassadors are a friendly group of people who do a great job of promoting the city and race.
2. The city. I have lived in Northeast Ohio for 25 years and have run the streets of Cleveland for years. I also lived downtown for 7 years so I’m very familiar with the city and course. It’s been amazing over the past few years to see the growth and change of the downtown area.
3. The course. The Cleveland Marathon course takes you through all the great areas of Cleveland and also provides some great views of Lake Erie and the Cleveland skyline. Rumor has it that there may be some changes to the end of the race this year!
Related: 2019 Course Maps
4. The gear. The Cleveland Marathon usually has cool shirts and gear that you get with your race entry and additional stuff you can buy at the expo. Last year’s shirt was a great fit tech shirt that I wear during the summer and my treadmill workouts. The official shirt has yet to be posted but can be found here.
Related: 2019 Merchandise
5. The weather. May weather in Cleveland varies every year. Last year’s weather was a little humid with a little bit of mist. I didn’t mind the weather at all as it was actually refreshing. Some thought it was too humid. Below is a link to historical averages for the month of May in Cleveland.
Related: Historical Weather Averages
6. Race options. The Cleveland Marathon Race Series has a distance for just about anyone. With the options on both Saturday and Sunday, you really have no excuse not to run. Whether its a 5k, 10k, or a marathon, the Cleveland Marathon really has something for everyone.
Related: Race Options
Cleveland Marathon Ambassadors
Below is the official Cleveland Marathon ambassador badge along with a picture from the first 2019 Cleveland Marathon Ambassador meetup. We usually meet up a few times throughout the spring to catch up discuss different ways to increase the awareness of the race.
You can also view the 2019 Cleveland Marathon Ambassadors page to see all of the ambassadors for this year’s race. Be sure to check these profiles out to read and follow the other ambassadors.
Our goal is to help promote this great race and city. In addition to promoting the race, we will be sharing our training plans and races on the Cleveland Marathon Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter profiles.
About the Cleveland Marathon
The Cleveland Marathon is in its 42nd year and is one of the top 50 oldest marathons in the US. During race weekend Cleveland hosts between 15,000-18,000 runners and walkers in addition to thousands of spectators.
The Cleveland Marathon is on Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 7:00 a.m. The full marathon, half marathon, and 10k all start at this time. Plan to arrive early (around 6 a.m.) to allow yourself plenty of time to park and get ready.
Related: Parking Options
If driving in, you should be downtown before 6 a.m. when many roads begin shutting down. The race itself is a Boston Qualifier and has won numerous awards. Check out the race details page to learn more about these awards.
Here a few pictures from last years race.
If you haven’t registered yet, you should! I promise you won’t regret it. If you have run any of the Cleveland races before, let me know what you think! Hope to see you in May.