2018 Cleveland Marathon Ambassador
Please note, theActiveGuy.com earns a commission when you follow some of the links and make a purchase.
2018 Cleveland Marathon Ambassador
Yes, you read that right. I am lucky enough to be a 2018 Cleveland Marathon Ambassador! This is my first time representing this great race. Earlier this year, I sent an email to the Cleveland Marathon after seeing a post on Instagram about applying to be an ambassador. I submitted my application thinking that the probability of me being selected was slim to none. Somehow I was selected. It was definitely a surprise and something I am excited about being a part of.
Race Discount: Save 10% off any Cleveland Marathon race or challenge with coupon code SLONGCLE10.
I have participated in the Cleveland marathon and half marathon over a half dozen times and love the race. The course, the city, and the experience make the Cleveland Marathon one of my favorite races. While it isn’t as big as Chicago, Boston, or New York, it has so many characteristics that make it great.
Why do I like the Cleveland Marathon?
1. The location. I have lived in Northeast Ohio for 25 years so I like knowing the details of the course. Having lived downtown for 7 years, it brings back great memories of walking to work, the Cavs, the Indians, and the growth of this great city.
2. The course. The Cleveland Marathon course has traditionally been flat with great views of Lake Erie, Tremont, Ohio City, the Westside, and the Cleveland skyline. We are lucky to have such a variety of neighborhoods run through.
Related: 2018 Course Maps
3. The support. The Cleveland Marathon course usually has great support through some of the local neighborhoods. It’s great to see friends and family during the race.
4. The gear. The Cleveland Marathon usually has cool shirts and gear that you get with your race entry and additional stuff you can buy at the expo. While the brands of the shirts have changed over the years (Asics, Nike, Brooks, etc), I still like wearing the shirts they provide at the expo. Below are the proposed shirts for 2018.
5. The weather. May weather in Cleveland varies every year. I have seen rain, heat, high humidity, hail, and snow. If you are looking for a race that has the same weather every year, this may not be for you (I like the unknown weather factor).
6. Redemption. I was signed up for the 2017 Cleveland Marathon but was unable to run it due to an injury. I am hoping that 2018 will be full of personal records and no injuries.
Cleveland Marathon Ambassadors
Below is the official Cleveland Marathon ambassador badge. Fellow Cleveland Marathon ambassadors will have this image on their website or social media profiles.
You can also view the 2018 Cleveland Marathon Ambassadors page to see all of the ambassadors for this year’s race. Be sure to check these profiles out to read more about each ambassador!
Our goal is to help promote this great race and city. In addition to promoting the race, we will be sharing our training plans and races on the Cleveland Marathon Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter profiles.
About the Cleveland Marathon
The Cleveland Marathon is in its 41st year and is one of the top 50 oldest marathons in the US. During race weekend Cleveland hosts between 15,000-18,000 runners and walkers in addition to thousands of spectators.
The Cleveland Marathon is on Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 7:00 a.m. The full marathon, half marathon, and 10k all start at this time. Plan to arrive around 6 a.m. to allow yourself plenty of time to park and get ready.
If driving in, you should be downtown before 6 a.m. when many roads begin shutting down. The race itself is a Boston Qualifier and has won numerous awards. Check out the race details page to learn more about these awards.
Here a few pictures from previous Cleveland races.
If you haven’t registered yet, you should! I promise you won’t regret it. If you have ran any of the Cleveland races before, let me know what you think! Hope to see you in May.